of Obituaries, Weddings, Anniversaries and other Events culled from the Richmond Review, Armada Crescent, Romeo Monitor, and other out-of-town newspapers from
1867 to the 1940s

Last updated 16 July 2000

Please note: This page has not been indexed - to search for a specific name go back to oldobitsindex.html

By now you may have noticed that I love music. If I had my choice, every page would have a music link.
On this page you will hear the hauntingly beautiful Irish folktune "Emigrant Daughter".

Nancy B. (Wheeler) Fuller

Mrs. Nancy B. Fuller, whose death was chronicled in last week's Review, was the daughter of Henry and Matilda Wheeler. She was born in the town of Hume, Alleghany County, N.Y., October 20, 1834. She came to Michigan with her parents in 1847. September 26, 1852, she was married to Chas. H. Topping, by whom she had a son and daughter, both of whom died in childhood. Mr. Topping died April 19, 1855.

She was married to Wm. O. Fuller May 7, 1857. Three sons were born to them, Arthur E., Merton and L. Roy, all of this place, who, with her husband, survive her.

In early life, Mrs. Fuller accepted the Savior and lived a consistent Christian life. She was a good wife, a kind and loving mother and a true friend. Although an invalid for many years, she was always patient and uncomplaining. Her death occurred October 20, 1898, her 64th birthday. The funeral services were held Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock at her late home. The services were conducted by Rev. H. R. Williams, of Port Huron, and Rev. S. A. Long, of this place. Mr. Williams' remarks were based on these words from the 14th chapter of St. John: "If ye loved me ye would rejoice because I said I go unto the Father".

Interment took place in the village cemetery.

(b. 20 October 1834, d. 2 October 1898, buried in the Richmond cemetery.)

Merton Fuller Death takes former Richmond trustee; Prominent Citizen
Richmond,  9 March 1936.  Merton Fuller, 71, active in local politics for many years, and prominent retired business man, died in his home here Sunday night as the result of a stroke suffered Christmas day.  Mr. Fuller is survived by his widow, Mrs. Nellie Perry-Fuller; one brother, Roy Fuller of Yale, and nephews and nieces.
He was born in Columbus township, St. Clair County, 18 March 1864 and moved to Richmond in 1881. He was partner with his father, William O. Fuller, in the hardware business, later operating the  business himself from 1883-1903, selling out to J. T. Adams.
In 1909 he purchased the local telephone exchange which he operated for a number of years.  He served on the village council for 20 years and as clerk of  Richmond Township.  Mr. and Mrs. Fuller had been married 51 years on 3 March, and celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1935.  They had lived in Richmond all their married lives.  Mr. Fuller was a member of the Congregational Church and served as trustee for 30 years and also as usher.
Funeral services will be held at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Congregational Church with Rev. P. C.  Jesson, pastor, officiating. Richmond Lodge No. 187, F&AM., will have charge of services at the grave in Richmond cemetery.  The body will lie in state from noon to 2:30 p.m. Wednesday in the church preceding the services.

Nellie (Perry) Fuller Mrs. Nellie Perry- Fuller, 72, well-known Richmond woman, died at her home here Thursday evening after having been confined to her bed for 2 years. The deceased was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Manley Perry and was born at Selleck's Corners* near Romeo, 16 January 1864. When a young girl, she moved with her family to a farm just west of town.  She was united in marriage to Merton Fuller, 3 March 1885 and on 3 March 1935, the couple celebrated its Golden Wedding Anniversary. To this union 2 children were born, one son dying in infancy (1886-1887) and the other, Charles P., (1888-1907)  dying when about 19 years of age.  Mr. Merton Fuller preceded her in death on 8 March of this year (1936).  Mrs. Fuller was a quite unassuming woman and loved by all who knew her. Her activities in the Congregational Church of which she and her husband were members, occupied her leisure time. She was secretary of the Ladies' Aid for 27 years during which time she had seldom missed  a meeting.  She is survived by a cousin and a brother-in-law, Roy Fuller of Yale.  Funeral services will be held Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the home and 2:30 at the church with her pastor, Rev. P. C. Jesson officiating.  The Choir will render her favorite hymns. Burial will take place in the Perry family plot at Richmond cemetery.

Hannah E. Scouten

Died, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Albert Harris, on Tuesday, October 25th, Mrs. Hannah E. Scouten, aged 78 years.

Mrs. Scouten was stricken with paralysis a year ago last August while on a visit to Port Huron. She was brought to this place and taken to the home of her daughter, where she had been confined to her bed ever since. She had been a great sufferer for months, until death laid a merciful hand upon her.

Mrs. Scouten was one of the pioneers of Columbus Township, moving there from Canada in an early day. She was the mother of twelve children, ten of whom survive her.

The funeral took place yesterday forenoon and the remains were laid to rest in the village cemetery.

(b. 29 August 1820, d. 25 October 1898, buried in the Richmond Cemetery).

Dr. Clement L. Chandler


Dr. Clement L. Chandler Drops Dead While Making a Professional Visit.

Sunday about noon the whole community was shocked by the announcement of the sudden death of Dr. C. L. Chandler. He had been feeling in his usual health and Mrs. Chandler had left for church leaving him reading by the stove. Later J.B. Lutes stopped in and sat for some time in conversation with him. After his departure the doctor arose and crossed the street to call on Mrs. B. F. Doty, who had been under treatment for several days past for a slight illness. He ascended the stairs and had reached the front of the parlor and without having time to speak put his hands to his chest and fell heavily forward to the floor. Supposing he had fainted, Mrs. Doty turned him over and attempted to restore him to consciousness. Failing, she called T. S. Weter and in turn he gave the alarm. Medical assistance was soon at hand but death had evidently been instantaneous. Although he was known to have suffered from heart trouble the appearance of the body would indicate death had resulted from cerebral hemorrhage, in connection probably with the other difficulty. The body was removed to his home after kind neighbors had gently broken the distressing news to his wife. She was nearly prostrated by grief. Friends gathered rapidly and the tearful eyes attested the esteem in which the deceased was held. The doctor had resided in Richmond for fourteen years and, meeting with strong opposition in his line of business, his retiring disposition made the struggle for him a long one. By patient attention to business and by studious habits his worth was at last recognized and for several years his practice has ranked second to none in Richmond. Among many families his opinion was indisputable and his trusty counsel was sought in all cases requiring the attention of a physician. He has been Railway Surgeon for the G.T.R. for several years and has been examining physician for the K.O.T.M. For quite a period of time he has been the township health officer and also filled a like position for the village. He had recently become a member of the Masonic order here.

The following facts may be of interest regarding his early life. He was the son of the Rev. L. Chandler, of Holly, Michigan, and was born at Edinburgh, O., March 29 1849. After spending his early years at this point and at Ellmuth, O., and the family removed in 1858 to Parma, Jackson County, Michigan. A ten years' residence at this point was followed by one of 21 years at White Lake. These places the doctor called his home although away at school a part of the time. He attended the high school at Holly and afterward began the study of medicine at the University of Michigan in 1873. Two years later he graduated at that institution and commenced his practice at Waterford, Michigan. In 1878 he came to Richmond and has resided here since then. His father and mother are both living, at the ages of 78 and 72 respectively. In 1877 the doctor was united in matrimony to Miss C. Engenia Davis, of Coldwater. She was the daughter of D. H. Davis of that place, and her parents are still living there at an advanced age. The deepest sympathy of their many friends are with them in their affliction and a life is suddenly ended in the height of its usefulness.

Funeral services were held at the Congregational church of which the deceased was a member, at 11 o'clock, Wednesday forenoon. Rev. D. A. Strong officiating. Many friends attended the services. The remains were not removed to the church but were taken to Holly for interment, Thursday, in the family lot. The Rev. L. Chandler, wife and daughter, of Holly, and two brothers, the Messrs. H. F. Chandler, of Chicago, and W. H. Chandler, of Cincinnati, were present at the funeral. Mr. and Mrs. D. H. Davis, of Coldwater, were also here. Dr. Chandler carried a $2,000 insurance in the K.O.T.M.

In conclusion the publisher of The Review desires to render a personal tribute. We have known Dr. Chandler intimately during his fourteen years' residence in Richmond. As our family physician for several years we have felt his personal strength as a physician during moments that were trying and during which a master hand was needed. He never failed us. We shall remember him as a friend, and counsellor, as a man among men, with faults like unto us all, but with a heart and a hand ever ready to help those in need, and as one whose virtues will ever remain bright in the minds of those who knew him.

(d. 1892)

Richard W. Heath



Untimely End of One of Our Best Young Men....Funeral Services at the Congregational Church Sunday.

Never before in the history of this village has the death of one of its citizens cast such a gloom over the entire community as did the announcement on Friday morning of last week that Richard W. Heath had passed away at the home of his parents during the previous night. The news came as a shock to nearly every one, as his death was entirely unexpected, the fatal illness being of less than two weeks' duration. He had been quite ill with an attack of mumps, but no danger was apprehended until symptoms of typhoid pneumonia developed a few days before his death.

Richard W. Heath, or "Dick", as he was familiarly known, was born in Kingston, Ont., in 1868, and came to Michigan with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. R. Heath, who in 1870 moved to this village, which has been the home of the family since Dick had grown from infancy to manhood in our midst, and by his exemplary habits and uniform courtesy and kindness had made a friend of every one with whom he had come in contact. He graduated from the Richmond high school with the class of 1888, and has since held various positions of trust, including two terms as village clerk, and at the time of his last illness was a trusted and respected employee of the mercantile firm of Cooper & Son.

His death is a particularly sad blow to his parents, who fondly looked upon him as the staff and support of their declining years, and they are the recipients of the earnest and heartfelt sympathy of their many warm friends in their great affliction.

The deceased was a member of the Congregational society, and the funeral services were held in that church on Sunday afternoon, the pastor, Rev. H. R. Williams, officiating. Nearly two hundred members of the Maccabees and Foresters, of both of which fraternities he was a member, attended the funeral in a body. Beautiful and appropriate music was furnished by a male quartet composed of Messrs. W. S. Stone, Chas. Sutton, Chas. Butcher, and A. H. Clute (sic., A.W. Kludt), all of whom are brother Foresters. The floral offerings were the most beautiful and numerous ever seen in this village, consisting of emblematic pieces from the K.O.T.M., I.O.F., the High School, Baseball Club, and Messrs. Cooper & Son. The Congregational Young People's Club presenting a profusion of cut roses and smilax with which the casket was completely covered.

The remains were escorted to their last resting place in the Richmond cemetery by the members of the Maccabees and Foresters, where the last sad rites were concluded with the impressive burial service of those orders.

(b. 2 January 1868, d. 7 December 1893, buried in Richmond cemetery.)

Eliza C. Kennedy

A Pioneer Gone.

Mrs. Kennedy, wife of Mr. T. P. Kennedy, whose serious illness has been referred to, departed this life this (Wednesday) morning at 7 o'clock. The deceased is fairly entitled to the honored name of pioneer, coming as she did to this vicinity, with her husband, 58 years ago. Her family consisting of the bereaved husband and a son, Mr. Albert Kennedy, and the two daughters, Mrs. W. W. Jersey and Mrs. Joseph Weller, are left to mourn their great and irreparable loss. Owing to the lateness of the hour we are unable in this issue to do more than make the bare announcement of her death.

The funeral services will be held at the M. E. church on Friday at 1:30 p.m.

(No dates available.)

Adeline Harrington
Fred Harrington


Mrs. Adeline Harrington and her son Fred, of near Marysville, the victims. Their rig capsized and both perished.

The saddest and most distressing accident that has happened in this section for many years occurred on Wednesday evening last between the hours of six and seven, in the township of Columbus.

Mrs. Adeline Harrington and her son Fred, who live about three miles from Marysville, were returning home from a trip to Romeo and were driving north on the Gratiot turnpike with a horse and cart. When about five miles northeast of this village at the point where the road crosses Belle River and known as Ramsey's flats, they in some manner lost the way, their rig was capsized and the unfortunate man and woman were thrown into the river. Their screams for help were heard by Sanford Kinsey, Will Ramsey and others living in the neighborhood, who responded immediately but arrived too late to save Harrington and his aged mother. They succeeded in saving the horse but the cart went down with the bodies of the mother and son.

Search was at one made but no trace of the bodies could be found that night. The searching party resumed work next morning and as the report of the sad affair reached our village, many volunteers and local officers went out to assist in finding the bodies. Shortly before noon the body of Mrs. Harrington was found about 30 rods from the scene of the accident, wedged between two cakes of ice and grasped firmly in her hand was a large leather purse, which contained among other things a certificate of her marriage, which occurred in 1852. The cart was pulled out of 10 feet of water.

Harrington's cap and pipe were found during the afternoon but his body had not been recovered at dusk last evening, when the searching party retired for the night. The search was resumed this morning.

Sheriff Mallory and Coroner Carlisle, of Port Huron, arrived on the scene yesterday afternoon and held an inquest on the body of Mrs. Harrington, the jury rendering a verdict of accidental drowning. The body was placed in charge of undertaker Culver and left at the home of Wm. Ramsey until the arrival of the relatives of the deceased.

The Harringtons are known to many of our citizens, having lived on the Bartlett Perkins farm, west of this village, six or seven years ago. Mrs. Harrington was about 60 years of age and leaves a husband and one son, a young man of about 25 years. Fred Harrington was 37 years old and leaves a young widow to whom he was married but two months ago.

The mother and son were seen in this village Tuesday and Wednesday, stopping here to make some purchases. They also called to make some inquiries at the home of Wm. Allington, in Columbus, a few minutes before the accident.

At the point where the accident occurred, the road and river run side by side and there is no railing or fence between them and the water having risen during the late freshets, had overflowed the riverbank and nearly a quarter of a mile of road was under water. Many theories are advanced as to how the accident occurred but the most likely one is that a piece of floating ice had lodged in the road, and Harrington, in trying to drive around it, got over the edge of the bank, thus capsizing the cart and throwing the occupants into the river.

This piece of road has long been considered dangerous and the township of Columbus had purchased a right of way and constructed a road around the flats, but the old road had not been closed and was used during the dry season. It seems to be the general opinion that the Columbus authorities are guilty of gross negligence.

(No dates available)

Alanson D. Maher

died at Williamston, Saturday morning, aged 63 years. He was one of the old time business men of this place, coming here in company with his father, Joel Maher, at about the time of the building of the plank road in which work they were both interested. At that time they resided on the farm now owned by T. A. Leach but later removed to what is now known as the Central House. Mr. Maher was afterward in company with Chas. Heath, of Detroit, in the mercantile business, which they conducted in the A. W. Reed building. Mr. Maher later carried this on alone until he sold out to Chauncey Church and moved to Washington, Michigan. For the past year he has been nearly helpless from paralysis and for six months previous to his death was a great sufferer. The funeral was held Monday and was attended by his sister, Mrs. Emily Maher-Sutton (wife of Albert Sutton) and by Mrs. H. Morris of this place.

(No dates available.)

Laura Slocum

the 13-year old daughter of George Slocum, living on Grand Trunk Avenue, was accidentally shot Sunday afternoon. She was at the home of Felix Furton, and a Louis Furton and Wallace Peltier, both at the same time attempted to show her how a revolver worked, it was accidentally discharged, the ball striking the Slocum girl in the head, killing her instantly. The boys are only 7 years old. They had taken the revolver out of a bureau drawer. The Furton parents were away from home at the time of the accident.

(No dates available.)

Mrs. Levi Haynes

The death of Mrs. Haynes, widow of the late Levi Haynes, occurred last week at her home in the township of Washington. She was about 75 years of age. She with her husband was an early settler in Macomb County, and had a wide acquaintance in this vicinity. She had been in failing health for several years, her death being attributed to consumption.

(No dates available).

Abraham Cooley
Libby Cooley

The Richmond Review, March 29, 1892 [Special]


Abraham Cooley, of Richmond, cuts his wife's throat with a knife.
And as she rushes from him sends a bullet through her head.
Then shoots himself in the head and breast and cuts his own throat.

This morning, between the hours of 7 o'clock and 8 o'clock, Abraham Cooley, a well-to-do farmer, aged 62 years, living one mile north of this village, murdered his wife in cold blood and then finished his horrible work by committing suicide.

It is supposed that he first attacked her in the kitchen by the pantry door, first cutting her throat, when she started for the outside of the house. He pursued, and when she was about one rod and a half from the house he fired at her with a revolver, the ball taking effect in the back of her head, passing through her head and lodging in her nostrils, causing instant death.

After doing this deed he placed the pistol behind his right ear and fired, the ball striking his skull and glancing upwards. This being a failure he placed the weapon to his left breast, intending to shoot himself through the heart, but the ball spent its force in his clothing, merely setting fire to his garments. This not having the desired effect he took the knife with which he had cut his wife and inflicted the death wound on himself, cutting his throat from ear to ear.

Mrs. Cooley was his second wife, to whom he had been married about a year. She has two sons in Chicago and one is supposed to be in Texas. They are children by her first husband, and she had a daughter, 10 years old, by her second husband, from whom she had been divorced, she having been married three times in all.

Mr. Cooley had five grown sons: F. M. Cooley, of Mayville, Myron Cooley, who lives on his father's farm, Andrew Cooley, residing in Richmond, Asa Cooley of Marlette, Frank Cooley, the youngest, who resides in Richmond.

Mr. Gillespie (sic. = Glaspie), who had recently purchased the farm, was the first person to discover the tragedy. His team was in the barn and he was there taking care of the horses when he dicovered smoke issuing from the woodshed. It was caused by the burning coat and vest of Mr. Cooley, which he had taken off. Mr. Gillespie (Glaspie) started at once for the house but when about a rod and a half away he discovered the dead body of Mrs. Cooley, lying on her face in a pool of blood. As he advanced and got near the woodshed door he found the dead body of Mr. Cooley lying in about the same position as that of Mrs. Cooley.

The motive which prompted this terrible deed can be best obtained from a paper which Justice Heath took from a book in Cooley's inside vest pocket, which appeared to have just been written. It reads as follows:

"The act which I am about to commit I hope God will forgive me for. Lib has robbed me of my living and happiness, and now is agoing to rob the family, because the law allows a woman to do as they please, and for other reasons not becoming of a woman. I told Mr. Wicks (sic=Weeks) that he must look to her for the money he let her have, as I would not be responsible for it. The papers is in the little box in the tool chest. Mr. Acker, please pay those checks to Frank and he can settle with the rest of the boys. Sell the farm to my son and he can pay the rest off. Good-bye to my family. Don't bury Lib on my lot. Search her boxes and take what belongs to me".

s./ Abraham Cooley

(Abraham Cooley b. 17 April 1829, d. 29 March 1892, buried in Richmond cemetery.)
(No dates available on Lib Cooley.)

Harriet Fangboner

The deceased sister, Harriet Fangboner, was born at Oxford, Warren County, New Jersey on the 29th of April 1804 and died April 17th 1886, consequently 82 years old, lacking 12 days. She was married in 1826 to Jesse Fangboner, the now venerable and white-haired husband who mourns her loss, consequently having the privilege that only a few married couples have, of living together in the bonds of matrimony sixty years. She was among the older of the now inhabitants of Mt. Vernon, she and her husband having emigrated to this place in 1845. She was converted to God a short time after her marriage and has therefore been a professed follower of the Lord Jesus for almost sixty years, never faltering to the last, saying when talked to of the prospect of Heaven, "Oh, you need not fear about me, I am all right". Sister Fangboner was naturally a woman of energy, combined with contentment, which later characteristic maintains supremacy to the last, never murmuring, never complaining in her last sickness. Surely her children and grand-children will venerate the name of white-haired grandma of almost 82, who lies so peacefully sleeping and will prepare to meet her where the countenances of the inhabitants shall shine as the light.

Louisa B. Cooper

Mrs. Louisa B. Cooper, wife of James W. Cooper, died at the family residence on Wednesday at 12 o'clock, noon, in her 72nd year. She was born in Vermont on August 24, 1823, and at an early period in life became a member of the Baptist church. In 1847 she was married to James W. Cooper in Oswego, N.Y., and early in the 1840s they came to this state and have been residents of this place ever since. She leaves a husband, two daughters and a son - Mrs. Dr. Lennox, of Detroit, Mrs. H. W. Bradley of Romeo, and James P. Cooper of this place, to mourn her loss. The funeral services will be held at the residence tomorrow at 10 a.m. The bereaved family have the sympathy of the entire community in their sorrow.

(d. 6 March 1895, buried in the Richmond cemetery.)

Ambrose Knoakes

Mr. Ambrose Knoakes, aged 90 years, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Bush, last Sunday. He was born in Wiltshire, England in 1805, and emigrated to this country in 1845, and had been a resident of this place for a number of years. He also leaves another daughter, Mrs. Edward Howe. Funeral services were held from the house Tuesday, Rev. C. B. Clark officiating.

(No dates available).

Elizabeth Stewart

Mrs. Elizabeth Stewart, wife of Andrew B. Stewart, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Wm. Howe, on Monday. She was born in Maine in 1829 and had been a resident of this state for forty-three years. The funeral services were held in the Methodist church, Wednesday at 1 o'clock.

(No dates available; however, obituary was published at the same time as the obituaries of Ambrose Knoakes and Louisa B. Cooper, in 1895.)

Euphemia (Quick) Pigget

Mrs. Euphemia (nee Quick) Pigget of Columbus, died on Tuesday, aged nearly 90 years. She was a sister of Deacon Quick, who lives north of this village. The funeral was held from the home of Will Quick, of Columbus, where she died on Thursday at 2 p.m., and was largely attended.

(No dates available.)

Henry Terwilliger

Mr. Terwilliger was one of our pioneer citizens and a resident of Washington for many years. He was taken suddenly ill while at work one day last week. He was carried to the home of Smith Taft, where he expired a few hours afterwards. He was 78 years of age and during his long residence in this vicinity, was held in high esteem by all.

(No dates available.)

Sybil Smith-Farrar

Death of Mrs. Manson Farrar.
We are indebted to the Richmond Review for the following sketch of the life of Mrs. Farrar, who was an old resident of this county:
Our citizens were considerably shocked on Monday evening by the death of Mrs. Manson Farrar. The facts as related to the Review are as follows:

Mrs. Farrar was at the barn milking the cow, when she was stricken with paralysis, and fell to the floor, unable to help herself or to summon others. She was discovered by a hired man and was carried into the house. Medical aid was at once summoned, but death occurred in about one hour. The deceased had a partial stroke two or three years ago. The funeral was held at the Baptist church Wednesday forenoon, Rev. Mr. Day, pastor of the church, officiating.

Mrs. Sybil Smith Farrar was born at Vesper, N. Y., April 5th, 1816, and was therefore 75 years of age at her death. She was married at Tully, N.Y., October 20th, 1835, to Manson Farrar, and with him came to Mt. Clemens, where Mr. Farrar had previously located as a carpenter. They resided in Mt. Clemens until 1848 when they removed to Detroit, where they remained about two years, and then moved to the township of Columbus and located a new farm. Here they lived for nineteen years, and then moved to the present homestead. Mrs. Farrar was the mother of four sons and three daughters. Of these there are now living: Adjt.-Gen. J. S. Farrar, Capt. U.S. Farrar, now in California, Mrs. J. S. Parker, of New Haven, and Mrs. R. Randall, of this place. The deceased was a lady who had been prominent in church work and was possessed of a large circle of friends.

(b. 5 April 1816, d. 27 April 1891, buried in the Richmond cemetery).

Manson Farrar

Manson Farrar departed this life at his residence near this village on Tuesday night, August 18, aged 82 years, lacking a few days. Mr. Farrar has been in poor health for several months, and since the death of his wife on the 27th of April, has been failing in a very perceptible degree.

The following biographical sketch of the deceased is taken from the Macomb county history:

"Manson Farrar, son of Sullivan and Charity Judd Farrar, was a native of Massachusetts, and married there and removed to Pitcher, Chenango Co., N. Y.; subsequently to Homer, Cortland Co., N.Y., where Manson was born September 14, 1809. They returned to Pitcher, where they lived until they came to Michigan in 1834, and settled in Mt. Clemens. He and his father took a half-section of land in Macomb. Mason continued to live in Mt. Clemens and worked at the carpenter's trade. In 1835, he went to Tully, Onandaga Co., N. Y., where he was married October 20, 1835, to Miss Sybil Smith, daughter of Dean Uriel and Sybil Smith. The young people returned to Mt. Clemens, and resided there until 1848. He was elected Second Lieutenant in the Mt. Clemens Rifle Company, and called out by Gov. Manson for the Toledo war. They had four sons and three daughters. Mr. Farrar became a member of the Baptist church at Pitcher, N. Y.; at the age of twenty-one he brought a letter from the church in Pitcher and joined the Baptist church at Mt. Clemens. His wife was also a Baptist from then years of age, and brought a letter from Tully church, and united with the Mt. Clemens church. They aided in building the present church edifice as well as aiding largely in its spiritual interests, and also engaged largely in the Sabbath school and temperance work, etc. They went to Detroit in 1848, where he worked for two years for the Michigan Central Railroad Company, and helped build the round house; also 200 farm gates to be used by the company at the farm crossings. He united with the Baptist church at Detroit in 1850. He removed to Columbus, St. Clair County, on the Belle River, two miles from Gratiot Turnpike, where he lived for nineteen years. He found not only a forest of trees, but still worse, a moral waste, as many will remember, when the name of Columbus was a terror; but believing in the power of the Gospel of love, he immediately went to work in the Sunday school and the temperance cause, holding the Sunday school in his and Deacon Topping's houses. The first temperance society was formed in the schoolhouse. The Baptist church was organized in his house September 15, 1851, called the First Baptist Church in Columbus. Mr. Farrar was chosen deacon, he having served in that capacity in Mt. Clemens. The church edifice was built in 1858. Here he lived to see the Sabbath school, temperance cause and religious meetings well established, and a more healthy moral tone pervade the community, when he came to Lenox and located on Section 1. Here they were among the charter members in the organization of the Baptist church in Richmond Village, also aided in building a church and defraying many other heavy expenses, as well as the other necessary work.

Mr. Farrar was a man who was highly regarded by his acquaintances, and had a reputation for strict integrity and honesty. His funeral was held this forenoon at 10 o'clock at the house and public services at the Baptist church at 11 o'clock, conducted by the Rev. Arthur Day.

(b. 14 September 1809, d. 18 August 1891, buried in the Richmond cemetery.)

L. Schairer

L. Schairer, editor and publisher of the German Herold, died at his home at 1037 Griswold Street, Sunday morning. Mr. Schairer came to Port Huron about two years ago and purchased the Herold. He knew nothing of the printing business, but by hard work he made his paper a success. He was taken ill with typho-malarial fever about six weeks ago. He was anxious to keep his paper going and wrote news and read proofs while on his sick bed. The strain was too much for him and last week he grew worse and died. He leaves a family. The deceased was a member of Freiheit tent, K.O.T.M., and held a $1,000 insurance policy in that organization. The funeral was held from the German Evangelical church on Seventh Street at 2:30 o'clock Tuesday afternoon. - Port Huron Times.

(No dates available).

Son of Thomas Davis

The little son of Thomas Davis of Port Huron, last Friday while leading a cow, placed the rope around his neck and then stooped down to pick something up in the road. At this moment the cow became frightened and started to run. The animal was stopped after running several blocks and upon investigation it was found that the boy's skull was fractured and that he had received internal injuries, which will result in his death.

(No dates available, except that it was published on the same date as the obituary of L. Schairer.)

Calvin A. Smith

St. Louis (Michigan) Republican Leader, August 14th (no year given).

Yesterday morning at 5 o'clock, Mr. Calvin A. Smith, whose death has long been expected, quietly passed away surrounded by his family and other sorrowing friends. Mr. Smith was taken with a severe attack of the Grippe one year ago last January. He was very sick for some time, but finally got around to his business, but was never well again. He looked after his business affairs a little, but has really done but little work since that illness. For nearly a year past, Mr. Smith has not been able to do anything worthy of mention, but has steadily failed, from what his physician, Dr. Baldwin, pronounces pernicious anemia.

Calvin A. Smith was born near London, Canada, June 13, 1847, and was, therefore, at the time of his death but a little past 44 years of age. He came when 9 years old with his father's family to Armada, Macomb County, in this state. On November 14, 1869, he married Miss Mary McNally of that place. A few years after their marriage they moved to New Haven, in the same county, where for 11 years Mr. Smith held a responsible position with the large dealer in hardwood lumber, Mr. H. R. Hazelton. From New Haven they moved to Ithaca, in the county, where Mr. Smith was for three years manager of C. W. Althouse's stave mills. Three years ago this fall, Mr. Smith came to this city and became the head of the popular firm of Smith, Claggett & Co., manufacturers of staves and heading, and has been identified with the interests of the city since.

He leaves a widow and seven children, all but one of whom is at home. The oldest, Rhetta, having married Mr. Griswold and lives in the city. The oldest at home is Lillie, 19; Hattie, 16; Bertie, 13; Gertie, 11; Earl, 8; and little Pearl, 5 years old.

Mr. Smith was a good citizen - helpful to all whom he could help, kind hearted, a good businessman, with a special ability in handling machinery, and with his brother-in-law, Samuel Miller, he invented a valuable appliance for consuming sawdust.

He was an affectionate husband and father, a liberal provider in the family and an excellent neighbor. He was formerly a member of the Baptist church at New Haven, but has never united with any church here. He had about $4,000 in life insurance. The funeral will be held tomorrow at the Methodist church, Rev. A. F. Hart officiating. The remains will be buried in the cemetery on the north side.

A. W. Graves

Guthrie, Indian Territory Times.

Mr. A. W. Graves died at No. 409 Vilas Avenue in this city at 12 o'clock Wednesday night, March 22. He had been holding down a claim in the Sac and Fox country, and came over here about a week ago on a visit. He was taken sick on his arrival with pneumonia, which resulted in his death. The funeral will occur at the late residence of the deceased at 2 o'clock this afternoon. Friends of the family are invited.

Mr. A. W. Graves was a resident of this place for several years and will be remembered by many of our citizens for his genial manners and kindly disposition, which made him many friends.

(No dates available.)

D. Weeks

Mr. D. Weeks, who recently passed by death from among us, was one of the earliest settlers in the neighborhood. He first came in 1835 and after looking up and securing land he went East, and subsequently returned, taking possession of the homestead on which he lived and died. His was for many years a life of toil and privation but by industry and economy he secured a handsome property, and was thus enabled generously to start his numerous descendants on the path of prosperity. His decease was in consequence of gradual exhaustion of the vital powers, rather than any special disease. At his death he was about 80 years of age. Many of his old and friendly acquaintances attended his funeral on Saturday twenty-fifth inst. The services were conducted by Rev. Wm. Allington of the village.

(b. ca. 1813 in Warren, N.H., d. 23 March 1893, buried in the Richmond cemetery.)

Alfred D. Weeks

We are greatly shocked on the sudden and untimely death of Alfred D. Weeks. He had been sick with typho-malarial fever only a few days and it was known that his illness was of a serious nature.

The deceased was the only son of Samuel Weeks, an exemplary young man of excellent habits and qualities, and a general favorite among his acquaintances. He graduated from Richmond high school with the class of 1894 (rest illegible - damaged).

The funeral, held at his late home was conducted by Revs. J. A. McIlwain and T. Hunt, and was largely attended by sympathizing friends of the family.....(illegible - damaged).

The floral offerings were beautiful and numerous, consisting of emblematic design from the Alumni Association, Richmond Coronet Band, baseball team, Class of 1894 high school, and M. E. church choir, of which the deceased was a member.

A sorrowing father and three loving sisters are left to mourn his untimely demise.

(b. 17 March 1876, d. 2 October 1895, buried in the Richmond cemetery.)

John Sanford Parker

Died at his home in New Haven, after an illness of a few days, John Sanford Parker, aged 80 years.

Another pioneer is gone - such men deserve more than a passing notice. It is meet that they be remembered. Mr. Parker was born in Mansfield, Conn., May 17th, 1810. When a child of seven years he moved with his parents to Homer, N.Y., where he remained until his removal to Michigan in 1835. In 1832 he was married to Miss Delia Palmer, who still survives. Their first home in Michigan was in Warren, in this county. In 1838 they removed with their two little boys to Columbus, St. Clair County, where they lived for 28 years. He was closely identified with all of the interests of that town, holding offices of trust and responsibility, and respected for his integrity of purpose, honest living and kindness of heart. He was greatly missed when he and his family moved to New Haven in 1866, where he so lived as to gain the respect and esteem of all. His means helped to build two of its churches, and he was very much interested in the growth and prosperity of the village. Five children, two sons and three daughters, with their aged mother mourn the loss of a kind husband and father, and the village the loss of one of its most respected citizens.

(d. 29 August 1890, aged 80/03/01, buried in the Richmond cemetery)

John C. Lawrence

The death of Mr. Lawrence was quite a surprise to the people of this village, not withstanding the fact that he had been in feeble health during the past two or three years. His death is attributed, we believe, to heart disease, with which he had been afflicted for some time.

The deceased was born in Bennington, VT, in 1811, and consequently was in his eightieth year at the time of his death. When two years old he moved with his parents to the State of New York. In 1830 he was united in marriage to Betsey Glaspie. The latter departed this life about two years ago, and her death was a severe blow to Mr. Lawrence, and undoubtedly hastened his death. Three children were born to them of which but one, Mr. Warren Lawrence, of this village, survives.

In 1834 the deceased, with his wife, came to Michigan and settled in the vicinity of Mt. Vernon, town of Washington, on a farm, which he bought from the Government. He united with the Baptist church of Mt. Vernon, in 1848. He continued an active member of this church until 1869, in which year he moved to Romeo and where he resided continually up to the day of his death, which occurred on Thursday, April 24th.

A kind husband, an affectionate father, an honest and upright citizen and neighbor, is the verdict concerning him, of all who have known him.

The funeral service was conducted by Rev. Gardner, of Oxford, on Sunday, at the late residence of the deceased, and was well attended by old friends and neighbors.

(No dates available.)

W. Irving Hunt, Ph. D.

Mr. W. Irwing Hunt, Ph.D., died at Columbus, Friday of last week, August 25, and his funeral was attended at the Congregational church in Columbus last Sunday, August 27. A large number were present at the funeral, many more than the church could accommodate. The floral decorations were tastefully arranged and the music, which was carefully prepared, was appropriate and impressive. The officiating clergyman was Rev. Frank J. Estabrook, a former classmate and acquaintance of the deceased for several years at Olivet College. The preacher's remarks were exceedingly well chosen, adapted to comfort and inspire. His text was Is. 40:8, "The grass withereth, the flower fadeth, but the word of our God shall stand forever". His theme was the intrinsic and abiding worth of Christian faith and character. His leading thought was the truth that the real success and glory of human life was not so much in any external work that is wrought as in what men are and become through faith in God. He characterized the deceased as pre-eminently a gentleman, a scholar and a Christian.

Rev. H. W. Hunt of Orange, Conn., a brother of the deceased, added a few words of tender personal regard and voiced the abounding Christian hope of the bereaved family. The deceased was distinguished from earliest youth for the brightness of his mind, the uprightness of his spirit and life and many attractive personal qualities. One of the teachers of his early boyhood now writes, "It was with great pleasure that I watched his success. He was such a bright little boy when at the village school of Alma".

At fourteen years of age he entered the preparatory course at Olivet College and from the beginning, by his industry and studiousness, maintained a foremost position in his class. After five years at Olivet, at the close of the sophomore year of his college course, he entered directly the junior class at Yale University where he speedily took high rank, becoming the Salutatorian of the class of 1886.

At the close of his college course he was awarded scholarships enabling him to pursue graduate studies at Yale for two years. He was then elected tutor of Greek in the same institution and after one year of teaching he was awarded a third scholarship.

He was married to Miss Sarah H. BREESE of Columbus, Mich., and in company with his wife went abroad, spending several months in special study at Berlin, Germany, and Athens, Greece, and in travel upon the continent. He then returned to Yale and resumed his tutorship of Greek for two years. He also became secretary of the sophomore class. At the close of the two years he was re-elected to his tutorship for a term of three years and, received from Yale the degree of Doctor of Philosophy. In the summer of 1892 the severe strain of his arduous and unremitting labors which he had already begun to feel cause his health to break, and he retired from active service and devoted himself to the recovery of strength. He seemed to greatly improve in health and during the spring of 1893 he was prominent as a candidate for a consulship in Greece. Although his candidacy was not a success politically, it was eminently success spiritually and fraternally, eliciting the highest testimonials and expressions of good will from many friends, including a goodly number of the leading instructors and scholars of our country. He had just been elected to an assistant professorship in the State University of California, and it was on the tidal wave of this new hope and joy that he suffered relapse, and after nine days of patient, brave, hopeful waiting passed into another life. He was sustained to the last by an abiding faith in God. Near the end he testified, "I have never had any other thought; I have felt God's goodness; I can see a part of the wisdom of His ways; I have trusted Him in the darkest hour".

It had been a practical maxim of his life to strive to deserve and win the respect of his fellow men as a basis for their loving regard.

A natural delicacy of feeling rendered him quite undemonstrative, and yet few men doubtless more appreciated human kindness or more prized human friendship....(continuation is missing).

(W. Irving HUNT was born 7 November 1854; he died 25 August 1892; buried in Richmond Cemetery.)

Mary Jane (Beebe) Waterloo

In the death of Mrs. Charles H. Waterloo, of whose passing away on July 27 only a brief mention was made in our issue of last week, there was a great and keenly felt loss - not to a very wide community as the world understands it, perhaps, but to the little world of which she formed so conspicuous a part. And yet, as one who had a kindly appreciation of her worth one said: "Her love was scattered over the whole country". For she had been a solace to many not of her own kin who had grown up about her. They had gone to her with their sorrows and she had comforted them. She was an ideal wife and mother to her family. She lived for them and they leaned on her to the last.

She who was Mary Jane Beebe was born in Genessee County, New York, June 21, 1818. Both her father and mother came from old New England stock. Her ancestors were of those who sought, found, and helped maintain a home for the oppressed. With her brothers and sisters, of whom there was a goodly lot in that sturdy family, she was educated in a humble way in the public schools of Genessee and Cataraugus counties. In 1836, when this portion of Michigan was practically a wilderness, the family came to this state, the journey occupying several weeks, and located at what is now Richmond, in Macomb County. The settlement there established was long known as, and is still occasionally called, "Beebe's Corners" - a mark of distinction in a way for the dominating family among Macomb's pioneers. They were not rich, these people who came here in the early days, but they were progressive. The men felled the forest, and with the first logs, after homes had been built, schoolhouses were erected. In one of these homely places of learning Mary Beebe taught boys and girls who have since carried on the task inaugurated by the pioneers. The schoolhouse stood on the riverbank near Marysville's site. Red men in canoes filled the great water path in front that is now traversed by the craft of a mighty commerce.

In November 1844, the young schoolteacher was married at Richmond to Charles H. WATERLOO, who, with his parents, brothers, and sisters, had left England some seventeen years before. The Waterloos had first established themselves on a farm near Detroit, but were now in Columbus Township, St. Clair County. Here Charles and his wife began a married life that lasted nearly half a century. Their first home, like those all about them, was of logs, for they were in the heart of the woods. Turkeys so wild that they were not afraid of man came to the very doorway to be shot. Deer and other game offered themselves as easy sacrifices to the growing family. In time the log home and barns gave place to prouder structures of frame. The children and the grain fields demanded it. Mr. Waterloo had been a successful farmer in a small way and had become well known in the community. In 1862 he was elected Register of Deeds of St. Clair County, and shortly thereafter abandoned farm life for a home in this city, then the county seat. Here the homestead has remained. The house in which Mrs. Waterloo died she had lived in and loved for twenty-eight years. Her children attended, and some of them taught in the public schools of the county. Ten children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Waterloo. Two of them died more than two score years ago. Since then there had not been a death in the family until last Wednesday, when the mother breathed her last. Indeed, the Almighty in whom she had an abiding faith had dealt kindly with her in that she had seen a large family of children reach full maturity. These children are Stanley, Althea (Mrs. Jerome Campbell), Belle (Mrs. Frank Flower), Hattie, Charlie, Minnie (Mrs. Ed Conway), Lucy and Burke. All were with their mother at the time of her death, with the exception of Stanley, and he arrived in time to attend the funeral. This took place from the old home last Friday afternoon, the interment being at Port Huron. The pallbearers were the dead woman's own sons and Mr. Campbell, her son-in-law.

Mrs. Waterloo was a member of the Congregational church and had been for nearly thirty years. During long months of sickness and suffering she bore up bravely and to the very last she taught to those around her a lesson of unselfishness, humanity and immortality. The world is better because of such women as she.

Angus McQuaig

Angus McQuaig of Lenox meets an awful death.
Gored and trampled by a vicious brute. His skull crushed near the left temple. Dead several hours before found.
A short sketch of his life. Funeral at St. Augustine's church.
Angus McQuaig, a prominent and well-to-do farmer living about four miles southwest of this village in the township of Lenox was gored to death by a vicious bull on the farm of Fred EHRKE last Saturday forenoon.
Mr. McQuaig had occasion to visit the Ehrke farm and left home about 8 o'clock, stopping for several minutes at the home of Wm. BEIER. Upon arriving at the home of Mr. Ehrke he found only the women at home and after making some inquiries proceeded to the field some distance from the house. This was the last seen of him until his dead body was found about 2 o'clock. Herman Ehrke had been to town and returned home just before noon; after dinner he started out to work in the field, when one of his horses stopped and refused to pass what proved to be the body of the unfortunate man. Neighbors were summoned and the body was removed.
An examination disclosed a fracture of the skull near the left temple, which probably was the immediate cause of death; a severe bruise on either side extending from the lower part of the abdomen to the chest, and many small bruises caused by being trampled upon. The skin was unbroken, although the clothing was badly torn. Life had been extinct for several hours.
There were no witnesses to the affair, but the finding of a fence rail near the body shows that the man fought hard to save his life.
An inquest was held and resulted in a verdict in accordance with the facts.
Mr. McQuaig was born at Cote St. Patrick, Quebec, and came to Lenox some thirty years ago, locating on the farm on which he has since resided. He was a good neighbor and enjoyed the respect of the community in which he lived. He was 67 years of age and leaves a widow and five children.
The funeral services held at St. Augustine's church Tuesday, were conducted by Rev. Fr. Garry, and largely attended by the friends of the family.

(Angus McQuaig b. 10 May 1829, d. 17 August 1895, buried in St. Michael's Cemetery in Richmond.)

Sanford Wood

The deceased was one of the pioneers of this county. He was the father of Mr. Geo. Wood of this village. He died at his home in Washington on Friday last. His funeral services were attended on Sunday. His obituary will appear in our next issue.

McConnell - McCauley (Wedding)

The marriage of  Mr.  Ira McConnell and Miss Lucinda McCauley was solemnized at 3 o'clock Wednesday afternoon at the residence of Ira Mellen, Rev. G. W. Carter officiating. After the ceremony a sumptuous repast was served by Mrs. Ira Mellen and Miss Mary McCauley. Mr. and Mrs. McConnell left on the afternoon train for a two weeks' visit with friend at Saginaw and other places in the state. Following is a list of the presents given:
Pair of bracelets, Ira McConnell
Bedroom suite, W. H. McCauley
Set of dishes, Mr. and Mrs. R. McConnell
Bed quilt, Grandma Miller
Water set, bed quilt, table scarf, sofa pillow, Mr. and Mrs. Jas. McCauley
1/2 dozen spoons, Mr. and Mrs. Dr. Beardsley
1/2 dozen spoons, Mr. and Mrs. E. McConnell
Butter knife, Miss A. E. McCauley
1/2 dozen napkins, Miss Nellie McCauley
2 pairs towels, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Smith
Fruit dish, Willie McConnell
Cake dish, Vernie McConnell
Salt and pepper set, May McConnell
Crystal water set, Mr. and Mrs. C. W. McCauley
Cut glass table set, Mr. and Mrs. G. D. Butcher
Table cloth, Mr. and Mrs. Porter Beebe
1 pair towels, Miss May Beebe and Mrs. Carleton
Soiled linen bag, Mrs. J. A. Beebe
Embroidered sheet, pair pillow cases, 1 doz. napkins, Mr. and Mrs. G. C. Perkins
Table cloth, Mr. and Mrs. A. Emerson
1 pair towels, Mr. and Mrs. H. M. Sutton
Hand-painted plaque, Miss Allie Sutton
1 dozen napkins, Mr. and Mrs. E. J. Lewis
1 bedspread, Mr. and Mrs. E. Bailey
1 towel, Jennis Weldon
Fruit set, Mrs. S. Robinson
Vase, Miss Myrtie Robinson.

Wm. G. Anderson

The deceased was one of the pioneers of this vicinity, and had a large acquaintance in an around Romeo. He cam to Romeo to live a year or so ago, and during the past few months, has been in failing health. During his long residence here and on his farm northeast of this place, he was held in high esteem by his neighbors and fellow citizens generally.  His death occurred at his home in this village on Tuesday. He leaves a widow and six children to mourn his departure. He was 74 years of age.
The funeral services were held at his late home at 2 p.m. today, and the remains deposited in the Nims cemetery, southeast of Romeo.

Charlotte E. Lee (nee Palmer)

It is many years since a death in our midst has excited the pity and sympathy of our citizens, to a greater degree, than has been felt and manifested in respect to the decease of Mrs. Lee. Her case is a particularly sad one.

She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Abijah Palmer, both of whom departed this life some years ago. As a little girl, many household cares and duties devolved upon her, all of which she met and performed, even to the day of her death, with a self sacrificing spirit that was as beautiful as it was remarkable, and which ought to entitle her to the welcome plaudit of "well done, good and faithful servant".

The deceased had not been feeling well for some weeks, but was not confined to her bed until one week from last Friday. In spite of all efforts, she steadily failed and at 5 a.m. on Saturday last they folded her tired hands over her tired heart, with life's struggles all ended.

She was born in Romeo 37 years ago, in the house in which she died. She was united in marriage some years since to Henry Lee, who survives her, with his three motherless children, to whom, as the pastor feelingly said, he must now be both father and mother. Mr. Lee has the deep and genuine sympathy of all our people in his great affliction.

The funeral services were held on Monday at the late home of the deceased, by Rev. S. L. Smith of the Cong'l church. The services were attended by large numbers of friends and relatives of the deceased and her family. The remains were deposited in the Romeo cemetery by the side of her father and mother.

Frances Streit

Mrs. Frances Streit, widow of Gottfried Streit, was born in Bavaria, Germany, March 6, 1817 and after an illness of two years died at her home in this city, Saturday, November 5, 1892, aged 75 years, 7 months and 29 days. She came to this country in 1854 and to St. Clair in 1856, residing here ever since. She was the mother of three children, Mrs. M. Schaffer, Mrs. Weitzman and B. Streit, all living. Her funeral was held at St. Mary's church Tuesday morning and largely attended by friends and neighbors. The remains were laid away in the Catholic cemetery.

A. W. Baxter

who died at the home of his son-in-law, Daniel Langell, in this city November 5, was born in Hamilton, Ontario, nearly 70 years ago. He had lived in this vicinity for nearly 25 years and with Mr. Langell since last April. Up to the first of March he enjoyed pretty good health but while in Marine City one day he was run into by a bicycle and quite severely injured. From that time he began to fail and died as above stated. His funeral was held at the residence of Mr. Langell on Monday, Rev. McEldowney officiating and the remains buried in the city cemetery. He leaves four children, two daughters and two sons and a large circle of  friends to mourn his death. Within the past twenty months, four members of this family have died. On the 16th day of October, his daughter Carrie Tighe, died at her home in Detroit, aged 27 years. Her remains were brought to this city and buried in the city cemetery.

Rosa Bartley (nee Lockwood)

The following remarks were made by Rev. W. B. Millard at the funeral of Mrs. Alex. Bartley yesterday.
The mystery connected with broken and suffering lives is emphasized today. We are holding in reality a double funeral. When the news came of Alexander Bartley's death in the asylum in Pontiac on Friday last, Mrs. Bartley sent for me, and with most pathetic effort - owing to extreme weakness and great difficulty in speaking - she said: "it will be a few days at most before I will be taken. When that occurs let it be a double funeral service". And so it proved.

These two, who 30 years ago, dating from the 7th of next March, were married and began their life together in hope and happiness here in St. Clair, ended that life amid much pain and sorrow - separated from each other, one with clouded mind and the other after untold bodily suffering. But it was touching indeed to hear the faithful wife say, "I have been waiting for this. I wanted him to go first" - pathetically expressing her tender solicitude for the more afflicted husband.

Mr. Bartley would have been 50 years old had he lived until next February. His earlier life was active and vigorous. At one time he was proprietor of the St. James and in the livery business. He held also the important office of County Sheriff. All these responsibilities he met with manly strength.

The malady of a diseased brain resulting from paralysis did not prevent him from having a peaceful, and in some respects, close of life. He found, while at the asylum, consolation in religion, putting his trust in Christ as a Savior. Only a few days ago a letter came from him expressing this great hope and prayer for those at home.

Mrs. Bartley was just past 50 years of age. Her maiden name was Rosa Lockwood. She was the youngest of 10 children, 5 of whom are still living. Though never perhaps in good health, she was of a strong and determined disposition, which no doubt have her great vitality. Though for many years afflicted in body, she did not finally give up until about four years ago, since which time she has been unable to bear her weight on her feet and has spent weary days and nights upon her chair. Occasionally she has been carried to the carriage and taken a few short rides, but these have scarcely relieved the monotony and strain and pain of these years. No one will ever be able to understand, much less give expression to - this terrible experience - with an incurable disease sapping at her vitality and draining her nervous force.

It is proper to state that through it all many kind friends have contributed as best they could to ease her burden and bring a little comfort into her weary life. This she deeply appreciated, but the one who to the end proved her best earthly friend and upon whom the weary sufferer depended was the daughter, who for these years has given herself loyally and lovingly to this filial task. And now the end has come. Past are all those weary days and lonely suffering nights, past her anxieties and fears and disappointments, and as we look back upon it all we have been privileged to see a  marked growth in spiritual strength and trust. Who shall blame her if at first there were misgivings and complaints and difficulties about resignation to her fate. This all passed away however, and she came into a beautiful trust in Christ.

I believe, dear friends, that in the bright life beyond for which this husband and wife have been fitted by a firm and complete trust in Christ's merit and sacrifice and by the culture of pain and broken earthly hopes, these two are reunited and if they could speak to us today would fervently declare "we know that all things work together for good to them that love God."

(No other information available)

Sarah Black nee Selleck

Mrs. Sarah Selleck Black, widow of the late Thomas Black, passed away at her home on Ridge street, Monday at 1 o'clock, after an illness which confined her to her bed for more than seven month, following a shock of paralysis sustained May 22, 1919.

Mrs. Black was one of Richmond's pioneer women, having been born in this township, November 22, 1844. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ira Selleck, were among the earliest settlers in the county.

In 1870, she was married to Thomas Black, moving to Greenwood and later engaging in the mercantile business in Deckerville, where they were very successful. Retiring from business they returned to Richmond to end their days. Since her widowhood, Mrs. Black has spent considerable time with her nieces, Mrs. G. M. Grennis of Highland Park, Mrs. A. E. Millett, of Armada and Mrs. M. J. Hawkins, of this place, her nearest surviving relatives, for Mrs. Black was the last remaining representative of her immediate family. However, she always kept her home here.

Though little known to the rising generation, those whose knowledge of Richmond extends over a period of fifty years will remember Mrs. Black as a personage admired and respected by her friends and by those who knew her as a figure in the church, fraternal and social life of the place. Her death will cause many in Richmond to mourn, as well as in the towns where she spent part of her life, away from here.

Funeral services were held at 2 o'clock, from the home Wednesday afternoon, Rev. Waldron Geach, of Vassar, officiating, taking for his text a scriptural verse quoted by Mrs. Black shortly before her demise "I know that my Redeemer liveth, and because he liveth I shall live also". The floral offerings were many and beautiful. Interment took place in the Richmond cemetery.

George Nothaft

While most of the people of the village were at the fire Sunday, George Nothaft, an aged man who has for many years lived in Lenox, returned to his home from church and went into the kitchen to start up the kitchen fire. After the fire was under way he walked around the stove to take a seat, and sank to a couch dead without a word or struggle. Mrs. Nothaft was in the room at the time and hurriedly called assistence, but life had gone.
Mr. Nothaft was born in Germany April 29, 1823. He leaves a widow and eight children. The funeral was held from St. Augustine's church Wednesday morning. Interment at the Catholic cemetery in Lenox.

Mary Keeler

Mrs. Mary Keeler, wife of John Keeler, and mother of Maj. A. M. Keeler, died at the residence of her son in this place Saturday evening. Mrs. Keeler was born in Schoharie County, New York., November 8th, 1806, and with her husband came to this state in 1826, settling on the farm in Washington on which they lived until 1854, when they removed to Disco. During the past year, on account of ill health, the aged couple had been living with their son at this place. The funeral was held at the house at 8 a.m. Sunday, and the remains were taken to Disco for burial. The deceased was married to John Keeler in December 1825, and came to Michigan in 1826. She was the mother of eight children, four (?) of whom survive her - three sons and one daughter. Three of the children reside in Michigan, one in Colorado and one in Iowa. There are also 14 grandchildren and  five great-grandchildren. Mrs. Keeler had been a member of the Methodist church for 55 years.

Wm. A. Burt

The Monitor last week published a very interesting sketch of the life of Hon. Wm. A. Burt, a former resident of this county. Mr. Burt is remembered by many of our citizens, in fact some of them were his immediate friends and neighbors. As all know, Mr. Burt was the inventor of the solar compass, a work that gave him fame and reputation, but did not realize to him the pecuniary returns it should have. The Monitor also published, about a year ago, a very able and complete history of the life and service of Mr. Burt, prepared by his former friend and companion, Mr. G. H. Cannon, of Washington.

John T. Proctor

The Grand Rapids Eagle, of October 13, published the following particulars of the life and death of one who was formerly well known to some of our citizens, and many of whose relatives are now residents of Romeo and vicinity:

"The late John T. Proctor, of Cascade, this county, whose death has heretofore been announced in these columns, was born in Bethany, N.Y., July 19, 1827 from whence the family moved to Michigan in 1829.  In 1859 he settled in Cascade, where he has since resided. On Thursday, September 27, last, he ascended to a scaffold over his barn floor to arrange it for the reception of some grain, when he accidentally lost his balance and fell to the floor beneath. The floor was bare and the fall a severe and fatal one; for while no bones were broken, he received internal injuries from which he died on the morning of Wednesday, October 10.  Mr. Proctor was widely known as a man of sterling integrity. He had held the office of Justice of the Peace in the township, and for many years had been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. His funeral was attended at his late residence on Friday the 12th inst., by a large concourse of people, Rev. H. M. Joy officiation. He leaves a widow and two sons, one of the latter being a resident of this city.

Lila Grennis

Little Lila, a seventeen-months-old daughter of Geo. M. Grennis and wife, died of malarial fever Sunday morning last after a few weeks' illness. The funeral was held at the M. E. church Monday afternoon, Rev. Mr. DeLong officiating. The little one was a very bright child, and its loss is sorely felt.

Percy Hiram Mills

Died at Richmond, Percy Hiram, aged 7 months and 29 days, beloved child of  Dr. and Mrs. Mills.

Ere the meridian sun has shown
Ere the day's full strength is born
The bud that's yet but partly blown
Is nipped by the frost of early morn'
A little babe on its mother's breast
A little child in a happy home
A weary little one gone to rest
A little angel by the Throne.

Lucy M. Hovey

Miss Hovey died at Detroit on Saturday, January 24th. She was the youngest daughter of the late George D. and Henrietta Hovey, being in her 34th year. The deceased leaves a brother, Mr. J. H. Hovey, and one sister, Mrs. Frank R. Bentley, of Romeo to mourn her loss. The funeral services were held at the residence of  Mr. and Mrs. Bentley on Monday at 2 p.m. and were conducted by Rev. C. S. Eastman of the M. E. church. The remains were deposited by the side of her parents and sisters in the family burying ground, in the Romeo cemetery. Though a great sufferer, she bore all with great fortitude and expressed her peace with the Saviour.

H. Belle Cannon

Miss H. Belle Cannon, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Stephen B. Cannon, was born 16 Oct 1869 and died 28 April 1890, aged 20 years.
A fair and fragile flower, she had been tenderly nourished by loving hearts and full well she repaid the care bestowed, but love and hope and skill were equally unavailing. About 10 Feb she was attacked with La Grippe and that with the hereditary weakness of heart and lungs resulted in quick consumption. Her's was a particularly cheerful temperament, happiness consisting in making others happy, so her bright smile was a magnet, drawing all hearts to her and during her illness the ruling passion of her life was well illustrated, for there was no word or thought of repining while, loving all and anxious to live for them she was ready to go, if such was the heavenly Father's will. Her work in society, in Sunday School and as a member of the choir had been always done as a glad offering of the talents entrusted to her and well had she used them.
She was the youngest of 5 children and, coming to these parts on the anniversary of their wedding day, with her sunny disposition and natural refinement, her beauty of form and feature, and those large, luminous brown eyes, she had seemed a priceless gift and their hearts are well nigh broken by this cruel separation, but many friends extend to them, to the sister and brother left behind, and also to him who would, ere long, have taken the nearest and dearest earthly relationship, a tender heartfelt sympathy, while they in turn feel deeply grateful for all the loving words and deeds in this time of  bereavement, every act having been appreciated.
The funeral at the Union Church was very largely attended by a deeply affected congregation of friends, with a sermon by her beloved pastor, the Rev. J. H. Paton, assisted by Rev. Mr. Mudge, the text, "Let not your heart be troubled," seeming like an echo of her own voice since those had been her favorite words of comfort to the mourning friends. The marble-like form was enshrined in a snow white casket, surrounded by many choice floral tributes and the full Union choir united in pathetic melody, while standing around her vacant chair, that was draped with white crepe in memory of its fair, pure occupant. An escort of six of her most intimate young lady friends preceeded the remains, which were borne by six of her school mates, and at the Cannon cemetery the grave was robbed of its unsightliness, by the loving hands that arranged its snowy lining and dainty decorations.
"Take her in thine arms, O Father,
And let her gentle spirit be
A messenger of love, between
Our human hearts and Thee."
The friends from abroad in attendance were Messrs. Henry Thurtell; H. B. and W. A. Cannon of Lansing; Mrs. C. E. Whitney of Muskegon; Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Cannon of Oxford; E. C. Cannon of Evart; Mrs. Perkins of New Baltimore and Mrs. F. Cannon of Detroit.

Joel P. Muzzy

The illness of  Mr. Muzzy,  beginning on Friday, November 13th, terminated in his death on Monday last about 9:30 a.m.  He had made a gallant struggle against the inroads of disease, and during the last few days it really seemed to his family and friends that the battle had been won.  All at last were greatly encouraged, and in the morning of his death, his son, Howard, had taken the train for his home in Detroit, intending to return on the following Wednesday.  He was somewhat loth to go, but the deceased was feeling so much better and stronger that the urged him to return to his business.  In less than two hours from that time, to the great surprise and grief of all, the end came, thus suddenly and in spite of his severe and dangerous condition, unexpectedly.
The deceased was attacked with neuralgia of the heart, complicated with other organic troubles.  His death,  we are informed, is attributed to apoplexy. Several years ago, Mr. Muzzy suffered from several sudden and severe attacks that greatly alarmed his friends. Since that time, however, he has seemed to be in possession of as good health as could be expected for one of his age. As a man and citizen, the deceased has always commanded the highest respect and esteem of all, and his death, from every standpoint, is a loss to the place.
He was born in Rutland, Mass., 75 years ago.  He came to Michigan, and Romeo in 1842, having been united in marriage in that year to Mary Reade, sister of Mr. S. A. Reade of this village.  He soon after moved to Almont, returning to Romeo in 1857.  He was for several years a member of the old and well known firm of Giddings, Muzzy & Co., and after retiring from that company, continued to carry on a mercantile business alone.
His family, left to mourn the departure of a kind and loving father and husband consists of the bereaved widow and 4 children, Mrs. Wright of Berea, KY; Alfred of Chicago, IL; Howard of Detroit, and Miss Abbie of Romeo. The funeral services will be held at the family home today (Wednesday)  at 2 p.m., and will be conducted by the Rev. S. L. Smith, pastor of the Cong'l church, of which the deceased had been an earnest and conscientious member for many years.

Mrs. Jas. McCauley

Our readers will be pained to learn of the death of Mrs. Jas. McCauley,  which occured on Tuesday night at her home on the Ridge road, about 2 miles west of this village. She was 52 years old and had been sick but a few days with the prevailing epidemic - La Grippe. The funeral will be held from the house this forenoon and the remains will be interred in the Berville cemetery.

Mrs. Anne Townsend

From Supervisor Townsend we learn of the death of his mother at her home at Hunters Creek, on Wednesday last. The deceased was in her 90th year, an old resident of this section and the mother of a well-known and highly respected family.  The husband, Mr. John Townsend, died about 18 years ago.
For several years she has made her home with her daughter, Mrs. John Clark of the abovenamed place. Other members of her family are Uriel Townsend of Almont; Wm. of Lapeer; George, Supervisor of Bruce; Mrs. M. W. Maynard of Dryden; Clark of Metamora, and Caroline and Arthur, deceased.  The deceased was born in Green Co., NY and came to Michigan and Lapeer County in 1834.

Mrs. John Overton

Mrs. Charlotte Mills Overton, sister of Chas. Mills and Mrs. Porter Beebe of this place, died at her home in Detroit, Tuesday night, aged 42 years. The remains will be brought to this place for burial today and the funeral will be held from the M. E. church at 12:30 o'clock.

(Charlotte Mills-Overton was the wife of John Manson Overton,  b. 1848,  d. 1892, buried in Richmond cemetery.)

Mrs. Wm. Labadie

The death of Mrs. Labadie occurred on Thursday, after a brief illness. The deceased was a widow, and a former resident of New Haven, and for a short time, of the township of Ray. She came to Romeo a few years ago, and shortly after the decease of her husband, chiefly for the purpose of educating her daughter, who survives her. The latter is the only child living and the blow to her is, as may well be supposed, a terrible one.
The funeral services were held from her late home on Gates St., in this village on Saturday last. They were conducted by the pastor, Rev. E. M. Harris and were attended by many friends and neighbors of the deceased.
The remains were taken to the cemetery at New Haven, near her old home and were committed to the earth by the side of her husband, and others of her family.

Mrs. Orsemus Webster

The deceased was a sister of Mr. E. R. Eaton, of this village, and her husband a brother of Mr. Waldo Webster. She was a resident of Lapeer Co.  The remains were brought to this place for burial. The funeral services were held in the Baptist church on Tuesday, Jan. 12, and were conducted by the pastor, Rev. Geo. Atchinson.

Ms. Carrie Powers

Died,  at her home in Richmond, 30 Dec. 1889, of consumption, Carrie, second daughter of George I. and Elizabeth Powers, aged 19 years and 26 days. Two years ago she gave her heart to God and united with the M. E. church of this place, and has since remained an exemplary member of both church and Sunday school.  She died with a full assurance of a blessed meeting with the loved ones gone before.

A light is from our household gone
A voice we loved is stilled
A place is vacant in our home
Which never can be filled.

Frank Drulard

Frank Drulard, one of  St. Clair's most promising young men, died suddenly on Monday morning, of consumption, aged 20 years.  He was a general favorite among both old and young, intelligent, bright, and cheerful, and his loss is one that will be felt by both relatives and friends.  The funeral takes places this afternoon from the M. E. church.

Wm. H. Savage

Wm. H. Savage, one of the pioneers of this country, died at Columbus on Friday morning, February 11th.  He was born in Monroe Co., NY on 14 March 1814 and came to Michigan in June 1833.  He had thus been a resident of this county for 48 years.  The funeral took place on Sunday morning and a large number of acquaintances and friends followed his remains to their last resting place. He leaves a wife and 3 children to mourn his loss.

Sarah J. Wakeling

In Memphis, St. Clair County, March 20th 1869, Sarah J. Wakeling, only child of Mr. and Mrs. John Wakeling, aged 21 years.

Ava May Griffith

Ava May Griffith was born January 22, 1888 and died July 9, 1890, aged 2 years, 5 months, and 17 days.  Little Ava May was sick 21 days and then went to join the bloodwashed host on the heavenly shore. Grace was given which enabled the parents to say, "The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." The funeral was held at the Reyel schoolhouse in Ford County, Kansas. It was a precious occassion.
B. F. Smalley.

M. Salina French

Died of pneumonia, on Saturday, March 5, at the French homestead near Kennard. Mrs. M. Salina French, widow of Harvey G. French and mother of A. M. French of this city. The funeral took place on Monday from the home, Rev. Jno. Power officiating and the remains were interred in the Whitford cemetery.
Mrs. French was born M. Salina Bradley, in Wyoming Co., NY in 1826 and was therefore 66 years old at her death.  At 18 she married Harvey G. French and in the same year the newly married couple moved to Erie Co., PA and 7 years later to Michigan. They came to Nebraska in 1872 and settled near Kennard, where they continuously resided until death. Mrs. French was early converted, joined the Baptist church at 16 years of age and remained a consistent member throughout her life.  She had a family of 10 children, 5 boys and 5 girls, 7 of whom survive her, and 5 of whom living hereabouts are as follows: A. M. French of this city; B. M. French of Kennard; Mrs. Bent Fenner of Omaha; Mrs. J. M. Keating of Calhoun; and Mrs. L. Whitford of Arlington.  During the last 3 years she has suffered much from heart trouble, and pneumonia found her an easy prey. - Pilot, Blair, Nebraska.  Mrs. French was a resident of this section for many years and was well known to many of our readers.

Mary Eva Haddock

In Memory.  "Twas a sad bereavement to our friends Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Haddock of Athens, GA near the close of November 1886, when God took their only child, 18 months old - little Mary Eva. Very bright and very attractive even to strangers, no wonder that a desolate loneliness fills the home now that she has gone.

Myron Rose

Myron Rose,  aged 67 years, only son of Uncle Harleigh Rose, died in Ypsilanti on Tuesday last. The remains were interred there and the funeral services will be held in the M. E. church here on Sunday next, at 10:30 a.m.

Bruce J. Crandall

Died in Ray, Sunday morning, July 12, 1885, of Diphtheria, Bruce J. Crandall, only son of Justus and A. M. Crandall, aged 5 years, 4 months and one day. The burial took place Monday morning on the 13th at 9 o'clock a.m. in the cemetery in Davis. The family have the sympathy of the entire community. The funeral service will be held at the Union Church in Ray, next Sunday (the 19th) afternoon, at 2:30 o'clock.  Mr. Crandall and family would hereby express their sincere thanks to the parents and neighbors whose kindness they have shared in this time of sorrowful visitation.

Jane C. Kennedy

The above estimable lady, whose death we were merely to mention last week, was born in Sodas, Wayne Co., State of New York, 12 Sep 1812 and died at her late home in Romeo, Wednesday, 14 Jan 1891, making her age 78 years, 3 months and 19 days. Her maiden name was Johnson. She was married in Pittsford, Monroe Co., NY to T. P. Kennedy on 27 Sep 1831,  with whom she lived most happily 59 years, 3 months and 20 days. In October 1834, she came with her husband to Michigan, settling on a farm 5 miles east of Romeo, where she resided until her removal to this village a few years ago, since which time she has lived with her husband, in the midst of her children and grandchildren, in comfortable retirement. In June she united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, in whose communion, for nearly 47 years, she lived a faithful, useful and beloved member. She cheerfully shared with her husband his sacrifices and toils in promoting the interests of the church of their choice, and her name will be long and lovingly cherished in its roll of honor. She rendered many years of faithful service as Sabbath school teacher, leaving an indelible impression the classes favored with her care. She was genuinely benevolent in her nature, it being her joy to relieve distress as far as was in her power. Peculiar sympathy is felt for the venerable husband, now in his 84th year, in his sore bereavement. The funeral, which was from the M. E. church, was largely attended, and many tears witnessed to the affection in which she was held. Her's is truly the blessed memory of the just.

Dr. James Harvey

Dr. James Harvey died on the 19th. For many years he was one of the leading physicians in this section of the state but during the past few months he has been incapacitated for work by reason of softening of the brain.

(No other info available)

C. F. Mallory

The Hon. C. F. Mallory died at his home in this village on Thursday of last week, aged nearly 80 years.  He had been sick but about three weeks and his death was mainly caused by a general breaking down. He located in Romeo in 1844, and was engaged in business up to 1878. He was appointed village Postmaster in 1846, and for a number of years was Justice of the Peace. He served his district in the State Legislature during the memorable years of 1863/64/65. He was the Greenback candidate for Congress in this district in 1878. The funeral was held Monday.

(No other info available)

Elisha Calkins

Death of one of Macomb's Pioneers.
Our citizens were shocked to hear of the sudden death of Elisha Calkins, which occurred on Wednesday afternoon. For several years the deceased had been in poor health, having been a sufferer from valvular diceases of the heart. At the time of the fatal attack he was in his barn, and when found was still breathing but unconscious.  He was carried into his house and medical aid summoned, but he died within an hour.

Mr. Calkins was born in Cayuga Co., N.Y. on 1 October 1816 and moved to the township of Washington with his parents in 1825, where he has lived ever since. He has been prominent in mercantile pursuits in Romeo, having at different times been actively engaged in the mercantile, drug and furniture trade, besides being interested in outside ventures of considerable magnitude, among which is the Union Iron Co. of Detroit.

He leaves a wife and one daughter, Mrs. Wm. Chapman, to mourn the loss of a kind husband and father.  The funeral services were held at the Baptist church yesterday afternoon and were largely attended by our citizens. -- Romeo Hydrant.

Henry T. Terry

TAUTON, MASS., June 18, 1892.
Dear Sir: - I have just received the sad intelligence of the death of my cousin Henry T. Terry, who was a citizen of your town. Will you kindly allow me to express through your paper, the deepest sympathy with the relatives, friends and neighbors, who must keenly feel the loss of this kind-hearted, Christian man? "None knew him but to love him, none named him but to praise." Though it has not been my privilege to live near enough to Mr. Terry to enjoy his companionship, we have kept up a correspondence for the past twenty-five years. I have a large number of his letters on file, preserved on account of the beautiful thoughts so admirably expressed. His last letter to me dated May 11, 1892, covers four pages and from the style of penmanship, anyone would judge the writer to be twenty-four years of age instead of eighty-four. This letter was written in answer to one of mine, informing him of the death of my uncle and his cousin, Francis Washburn, of Lakeville, Mass.  I will quote some passages from his letter. "Francis is gone. We can never see him again. So our friends drop off, one after another. I realize that my time will soon come. This destiny awaits us all. Like the common events, it comes easily and oft unexpectedly. O, Frank, what a world this is -- all right but marvelous to us. The great thing for us is to live right, taking the Bible, the word of God, as the man of our counsel -- so living as to meet death as we meet the ordinary events of life -- as a  matter of course." In closing this letter he writes: "If we never meet again on earth, may we all meet in Heaven finally."
The first few years of Mr. Terry's life were passed in Lakeville, formerly a part of Middleboro, Mass., near where my grandfather Washburn lived, and he always retained a warm love for the place and the people where, as he used to say, "his infant feet first trod."  In later life, whenever he visited this section, he always received a cordial welcome from all his relatives and friends. Nearly all these friends of his early life preceded him and are there to give him the old-time greeting.  I can hardly realize that the friend whom I so highly esteemed has gone; that I shall receive no more letters written by that hand.  He has finished his course on earth but the memory and the influence of that life still live.


Back to Top
Back to Index