The Nothaft Family
(as published in the Richmond Review in 1951)
George Nothaft came from Bavaria in 1852 to homestead 140 acres on Church road in Casco township. At first Mr. Nothaft worked in a Detroit brickyard, walking to the Gratiot Turnpike to get a stagecoach and returning to his wilderness homestead each week-end.
In 1854 he married Mary Niebauer, the daughter of neighbors, Peter and Ann Niebauer. They were married at a Catholic mission that then stood on Bethuy and Lindsey roads. They had eight children, five of whom are living:
1. Mary Nothaft
2. Helen Nothaft
3. Mrs. Charles Maier of Detroit
4. George Nothaft of Essex, Canada, and
5. Stephen Nothaft of Oxford.
Matthias Nothaft (deceased) is survived by 8 sons and 4 daughters:
1. Matthias Nothaft (jr.)
2. Joe Nothaft
3. Edward Nothaft
4. Albert Nothaft, all of Richmond township,
5. John Nothaft of Lesterville, George, Detroit
6. Frank Nothaft of Fraser
7. Henry Nothaft of East Detroit
9. Mrs. Mary Lueck of Richmond
10. Mrs. Anna Burr of Detroit
11. Mrs. Eloise Murphy of Detroit, and
12. Mrs. Helene Lattimer, Clearwater Beach, Fla.